Dentists diagnose and treat problems with patients’ teeth, gums, and related parts of the mouth. They provide advice and instruction on taking care of the teeth and gums and on diet choices that affect oral health. (Source: United State Department of Labor, Healthcare Occupations)

Required Coursework (Iowa State University course numbers)

The coursework listed below should be used as a starting point for degree planning. This list is not intended to be a complete list of requirements for all dental schools, nor is every class listed required by all dental schools. Information about the various dental schools, as well as a list of their required coursework, can be found in the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

  • Biol 211 and 211L & Biol 212 and 212L
  • Chem 177 and 177L & Chem 178 and 178L
  • Chem 331 and 331L & Chem 332 and 332L
  • Phys 131 and 131L & Phys 132 and 132L OR Phys 231 and 231L & Phys 232 and 232L
  • BBMB 404 & 404 OR BBMB 303 OR BBMB 316
  • Math requirements will vary based on individual school requirements. Generally, a semester of statistics and a semester of calculus is recommended.

Standardized Test

Helpful Resources